#

Monday, April 11, 2011

With a Grain of Salt

Hi guys - sorry for not posting for so long. I haven't really been in the mood to write lately for some reason, so I decided to take a little blogging break. But I'm back!


A few days ago I had the idea to make sea-salted caramels. So that's just what I did! They were pretty delicious, however, making candy is slightly harder than I realized, only because timing is everything.  The caramelized sugar can easily burn. I'd like to think that these caramels were my practice run, and next time they'll be perfect.



Here's what I did wrong, so you can learn from my rookie mistakes:

- Um, first mistake? I used salted butter instead of unsalted, so the caramels turned out a tad bit too salty. What a dummy.  Cooking 101: Make sure you *read* the ingredient list carefully. :/  

- Second mistake? I was so worried about not burning the sugar that I don't think I cooked it long enough...which isn't so bad, but the caramels turned out a little more gooey than they were supposed to be.  I didn't have a candy thermometer, so I was just eyeballing it.  Again, this didn't affect the taste, but still - you want a firm caramel!



I followed this recipe by Ina Garten, even though generally I can't stand watching her show on the Food Network because she is so damn boring and has no personality. Sorry, but it's kinda true, right?




An attempted close-up shot.....the macro setting failed me.

Ta-Da! The finished product.



P.S. I know that in my last recipe post I said that I would take pictures of the whole cooking process on my next recipe post, but I was too stressed to worry about snapping pictures. I apologize!


Because they were overly salty, I ended up dipping the caramels in milk chocolate to counteract the saltiness, which rendered them perfecto!! Actually, I would venture to say that if you intend to dip them in chocolate or mix them in with cookie dough or whatever, you could even get away with just making them like I did with salted butter. It was the perfect salty/sweet combo!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...