#

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Nap Strike/Half-Birthday/Future Asthmatic

Last week Levi came down with what I thought was his first cold. I know there are a lot of new parents who are  a little paranoid when it comes to their babies, calling the doctor the second their child has a sneeze or a explosive diaper (sorry), but personally, I am not one of them.  Now, obviously if I think something is truly wrong, I will call the doctor. But otherwise my past experiences have showed me that unless it seems vaguely serious, it is usually not worth the hassle of hauling my baby to the doctor without an appointment, waiting in the waiting room with twelve other sick, coughing, loud, germy kids for an hour, and finally being taken to the exam room only to be seen for 2.5 minutes by the doctor and told that "he just needs rest, and continue breastfeeding." Really? Thanks. If my kid wasn't sick before, he probably is now after waiting in that germ infested office forever.

I guess it gives me some peace of mind to know that a doctor has seen him, but still.  I'm such a bad mom. I usually research symptoms myself online and if any of them seem out of the ordinary or he has the slightest fever, then I'll call the doc.

Anyway, Levi came down with the sniffles and a little dry cough last week, so true to form, I researched symptoms online like crazy. It seemed he had a common cold, and since he's been going to daycare for the past couple of months, I was bummed but wasn't surprised.  About 3 days later he was starting to get a little better, and I was happy he was back to normal. Then, all of a sudden, the next day he got worse. A wheezy, phlegmy cough, more snot, irritability, the whole enchilada. So to the doctor we went.


It turns out that my poor bambino has bronchiolitis, the infant version of bronchitis! :(  He has to be on antibiotics and a baby inhaler for the next week. Luckily the doctor didn't seem worried and it was a pretty mild case, but this means that Levi is at risk for having asthma as he gets older. Poor guy. The doctor said that oftentimes a common cold can morph into bronchiolitis and that boys around 6 months old are most susceptible.


Speaking of 6 months old, today is Levi's half birthday (sound the trumpets)!! I can't believe how fast he is growing up. In another 6 months he will be celebrating his 1st birthday. Wooowwwzers! I'm not sure if it's because he is sick, or because he is now half a year old and thinks he is too big for his britches, but this kid suddenly refuses to take a morning nap. Usually he wakes up around 6:30 (ugh) and goes down for a nap around 9:30, but the past few days he flat out will NOT take a nap. He screams bloody murder when I put him down, even though I can tell he is exhausted. I have always put him down for his nap as soon as I can tell he is sleepy so that he doesn't get a chance to become overly tired, but now he just wants to play and hang out with me alllll morning and it's driving me crazy! Sigh, the woes of motherhood.




Happy 6 Month B-day!

3 comments:

  1. nap strike! hahaha.

    i can't. believe. he's. 6. months!
    whaaaaaaaaaaaat.

    it feels like his 5 month b-day was two days ago.
    and the day he was born was last week.
    crazy babypants.

    well happy half-sies Leevs!
    hope to see you both soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very much a nap strike but, he'll ease into it. sometimes just walking away and letting him play in his crib with some gentle toys that can't hurt him, will do the trick or even after a meal or feeding. I know with my son, after having my daughter nap almost three times a day, didn't want to have anything to do with a nap. Some days were better than others, but he totally loved laying in his crib and playing until he slowly fell asleep- if he didn't nap, I would time the time he played and just go back in and get him. At least it meant a load of laundry could get folded while he played peacefully and hopefully fell asleep!

    Good luck and oh my goodness is he ever precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, tia. i think i've figured out that it's become more of a CRIB strike. so hmmm...i'll have to just work on getting him to like his crib again. maybe having him play in there is a good idea! i've just always been so afraid that he'd learn to associate being in the crib with playtime rather than sleepy time, but i'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...